ADSM-L

Re: 3584 vs 3494

2007-02-02 16:15:12
Subject: Re: 3584 vs 3494
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 16:14:46 -0500
I'm surprised to hear people having issues with a 3584.
I've got TSM servers with 3494's and 3584's;  the 3584 is my favorite
TSM library, hands down.

Robotics are FAR superior to the 3494 - I can tell you bizarre stories
about problems with 3494 robotics.
The 3494 is slow and clunky with a lot of wasted motion compared to the
3584, which is fast and smooth.  Inventory time is 30 SECONDS PER FRAME,
In that respect I certainly don't consider it a "step backwards".

For new TSM admins, the 3584 is much easier to deal with than category
codes (which can get ugly if you've ever had tapes misplaced due to
manual mode mounting).  I've never had problems with a 3584 (or any
other SCSI library, for that matter) "losing" its inventory on a regular
basis; if you do I recommend raising a HIGH PRIORITY issue with hardware
support and get it addressed - SHOULDN"T HAPPEN on an Enterprise class
library.

Yes, I know that people are "used to" the way the 3494 works, but
functionally there aren't that many differences, depending on how you
set it up.

The 3584 web interface makes partitioning easy as pie - just a few
clicks.  Then the library itself can manage the partitioning based on
VOLSER ranges, WITHOUT category codes - I think that's a step FORWARD!

I really like all the stuff you can do, easily, through the 3584 web
interface.

With the ALMS software and the VIO option, the 3584 I/O door "queues"
input and output just like the 3494 does (i.e., if you try to eject more
than 16 cartridges, the robot waits until you unload the I/O door
instead of failing the eject)   (The only thing weird is that you still
have to specify SEARCH=BULK when inserting carts with TSM, even though
the cartridges have been moved from the I/O door to internal slots, they
are still "virtual" I/O slots.)

You can get dual grippers & HA for the 3584.  It supports 3592 & LTO,
which is nice for some customers.
You can also get FICON controllers now (they are in a separate rack
called a 3953) which gives you a 3494 style console and connectivity to
a mainframe.  In that case, the mainframe still uses SMS & category
codes, and it thinks its talking to a 3494.  BUT, the Open Systems hosts
connected to it still see it as a SCSI library.

The BIGGEST FUNCTIONAL DIFFERENCE:
The 3584 doesn't have "manual mode" for TSM if your gripper is down.
(The 3953 does support manual mode for the mainframe component.)

If manual mode is important to you, you have to stick with the 3494.
Otherwise, the 3584 is totally slick.

Just my opinion....

Wanda