ADSM-L

Re: how many volumes per disk storagepool?

2007-02-02 16:05:19
Subject: Re: how many volumes per disk storagepool?
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 13:04:44 -0800
Dean Winger wrote:
> Help Please
>
> It's been awhile since I have setup a TSM server for Windows (Tivoli Storage
> Manager Enterprise Addition 5.4). I am trying to find out what the optimum
> number of volumes I should define for each primary disk storage pool.
>
> I have a disk array that I broke into 3 Raid 5 groups; one group for Daily
> backups, one for SQL backups, and one for Archives.  I also have a Raid 1
> group defined for my DB backups and Log files.
>
> The Raid 5 groups consist of three 300GB SAS drives each.  What size and how
> many volumes should I create for each Raid 5 group?

I tend to define volumes that use some fraction of the total available
disk space. This means that when we have to move to something bigger, I
can plug in the new disk, define volumes on that, and incrementally move
data over to the new storage during low-load times.

> For the DB and Log files I have a 270GB Raid 1 group.  My database is
> currently around 40GB. What size should I make the DB and Log pools, and how
> many volumes should each have?

I think the TSM Info Center manual recommends using several database and
log volumes even if they're on the same disk for performance reasons.
I'm not sure what those reasons are, but I do it anyways.

-- Foege Building S048, (206)-685-7354