ADSM-L

Re: Offsite copy pool volumes destroyed

2007-01-10 17:22:10
Subject: Re: Offsite copy pool volumes destroyed
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 17:20:24 -0500
On Jan 10, 2007, at 4:38 PM, RODOLFICH, NICHOLAS wrote:

Hello all,

Thanks for your help!!

We had 3 volumes that were shipped offsite get destroyed. I am
thinking
that these volumes will be recreated the next time the primary storage
pool gets backed up? Is this correct or is there something else that
needs to be done?
Also how do I disposition the volumes. Do I just delete them after
they
are recreated?

Obviously, TSM has no way of knowing, unto itself, that a tape was
burned, shredded, lost, or otherwise does not exist as a viable medium.

By definition, an offsite volume is in a copy storage pool, and thus
cannot be marked Destroyed.  You can perform a  DELete Volume ...
DISCARDdata=yes  to remove the database entries for what's on that
volume, such that the next Backup Stgpool will copy out that data
again - if the primary storage pool volumes represented in the
offsite volume are readable.  See the Administration Guide manual for
overall guidance in recovery operations.

   Richard Sims