ADSM-L

Re: Cross system restore problems

2007-01-09 12:13:28
Subject: Re: Cross system restore problems
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 9 Jan 2007 09:54:22 -0500
On Jan 9, 2007, at 9:20 AM, Schaub, Steve wrote:

Richard,

I bet Eric meant to say "cross-platform", which may or may not
apply to
restoring WinNT to Win2k3 (I havent tried, but there could be a
problem,
especially if the filesystems are going from fat32 to ntfs or
something
like that).

Hi, Steve -

To the best of my knowledge (per Windows client manual ("Restoring or
retrieving files to another type of workstation") and Technotes such
as 1141046), cross-restoral to a different Windows type or Windows
file system type should physically work, and not result in errors of
the type cited: at worst, some "feature" type information may be
lost, where it is not applicable to the destination.  I would expect
that an "upwards" type of restoral should have the least issues, if any.

  Richard Sims