ADSM-L

Re: RoadMap?

2007-01-04 05:55:07
Subject: Re: RoadMap?
From: Leigh Reed <L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 10:52:51 +0000
I think that TSM 5.4 was due for release this month, however I don't
know if it is on schedule.
I think the reindeer struggled this year and Santa was late getting to
the developers. (Sorry, couldn't resist a belated festive funny)

A list of the new features/enhancements that were scheduled to be
included follows below. Again, some might not have made the cut.

I would imagine that some of the IBM'ers will give you a more detailed
corporate line a little later in the day.

Possible features;

The ability to collocate active data on sequential media (typically
sequential
access disk for fast restores and reduced size disk pools).

 Integration of NDMP (Netapps/n-series) backups with TSM storage pools
(allows filer-to-TSM-server backups).

 Support for NDMP v4.

 Backupset enhancements and improved flexibility (ability to produce
point-intime backupsets using data in storage pools at any time).

 New Incremental backup method using a local disk cache to minimise
memory utilisation (can now process an unbounded number of files).

 Vista Support (and Volume Shadow Copy Service integration).

 Support for Intel based Mac OS X (and standardised to use normal option
file names).

 Support for hardware tape drive encryption.

 Various Admin Center updates.

Note: Windows 2000 is not supported on ITSM 5.4.