ADSM-L

Websphere and MQ Series

2006-12-13 12:09:38
Subject: Websphere and MQ Series
From: Avy Wong <AWong AT MOHEGANSUN DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 12:09:21 -0500
Hello,
      I would be very appreicative to hear what you think on some of the
questions I have on the backup approaches on Websphere and MQ Series.

Websphere:
1.) Does Tivioli now provide a "TDP for Websphere" for version 6.0?  I know
the software is out there for 5.0 but prior to that there was no TSM
adapter available for 6.0. What can one do when project was set up before
6.0 was available?  I believed it was call Tivoli Storage Manager for
Applications 5.x

2.) What does the TDP for Websphere adapter do differently as opposed to
backing up the Websphere files via the regular Tivoli O/S backup?  Does it
allow you to perform point in time recoveries?

MQ Series:
Backup strategy for MQ Series.

In reading the IBM Redbook on  MQSeries Backup and Recovery, it appears the
following is stated:

      When queue managers are initially defined they are setup with
      circular and/or linear logging.  To change this the QM needs to be
      recreated.
      For "CIRCULAR" (aka: PITR not possible)
      There are two types of backup options for MQ:  System backup and
      Media backup.
         System Backup        - Stop all channels and queue managers and
         perform file level backup of /var/mqm directories
         Media Backup         - All queue managers requiring media backup
         need to be in linear logging mode
                              - Performed by using the "rcdmqimg" command
      to write changes to log file

It appears that a one time backup of the MQ cfg will should do the job.  It
is only when MQ config changes are made that we need to perform another
backup (which requires the QM and channels to be down). Is my assumption
correct and why not?  If not what other suggestions?

Avy Wong
Business Continuity Administrator
Mohegan Sun
1 Mohegan Sun Blvd
Uncasville, CT 06382
ext 28164

The information contained in this message may be privileged and confidential and
protected from disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended
recipient, or
an employee or agent responsible for delivering this message to the intended
recipient,
you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution, or copy of this
in error,
please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from
your
computer.