ADSM-L

Compatiblity between LTO IBM and TSM drivers

2006-12-12 15:20:02
Subject: Compatiblity between LTO IBM and TSM drivers
From: "Schneider, John" <schnjd AT STLO.MERCY DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 14:18:50 -0600
Greetings,
        Quick compatibility question I haven't seen discussed.  If it has
and I missed it, I am sorry.
        My preference with IBM tape libraries and LTO drives on a TSM server
is to use the IBMtape drivers, not the TSM drivers.  In fact, I wonder why
Tivoli even has a special driver for IBM's tape drives, when IBM provides a
perfectly good one.   I am about to upgrade a TSM server I just inherited
from TSM 5.2.x to TSM 5.3.4 on a new box, and wanted to standardize on the
IBMtape drivers from here on out.  But I am also migrating a 3583 tape
library with LTO1 drives and tapes that are already written with the TSM
driver, and I am wondering if I am going to have a problem afterward being
able to read the tapes written by the TSM driver.
        Can anyone tell me for certain if this is going to be a problem, or
do I have to stay with the TSM driver?  I don't really have anything against
the TSM driver, I just want to make all my TSM servers the same configuation
as much as I can.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Sr. System Administrator - Storage
Sisters of Mercy Health System
3637 South Geyer Road
St. Louis, MO.  63127
Email:  schnjd AT stlo.mercy DOT net
Office: 314-364-3150, Cell:  314-486-2359