ADSM-L

Re: Will TSM ever support BMR for windows systems?

2006-12-11 14:32:36
Subject: Re: Will TSM ever support BMR for windows systems?
From: egonle AT NETSCAPE DOT NET
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 14:31:08 -0500
 First of all, I have successfully built a BartPE CD including decent TSM
client version which is deployed on our servers. That's actually easy. You can
decide which scsi controller and network controller drivers you need.

If you compare TSM+BartPE restores to e.g. Acronis TrueImage I would say
TrueImage is really better as

a) LVSA backups fail from time to time and I don't understand what really is
the problem

b) Acronis doesn't use a LVSACache directory but TSM needs one?

c) *!Important!* TrueImage also stores filesystem layout and it filesystems can
be resized during restore procedure

d) booting off TrueImage Media is faster than using BartPE (maybe my BartPE).

My biggest point is that I have to use diskpart to save and restore partition
layout but diskpart isn't working quite exactly (byte level) and it seems that
TSM filespace size must

be equally sized as the original volume but you cannot do that with diskpart
(as far as I can tell). Did somebody restore a 12GB (12280kb, 12284kb, 12276kb)
volume to a 11GB volume (5gb are in use) or to a 20gb volume?

I didn't yet find a better tool to do that. But so far I think its crap.

I tried to get in contact with IBM redbook/filed guide writers but so far no
response from remote :-(

If you use BartPE and TSM image restore to a different hardware (e.g. P2V) you
must change the raid controller. For that I use UltimateP2V
http://www.rtfm-ed.co.uk/?page_id=174. Eventually you have to adapt the drivers
file so that it fits your hardware.

ASR is only available for W2K3 systems and IMHO not the best way but better
than running a new installation of the box, install TSM and run the restore.

If you don't change anything ASR needs DHCP. If you are capable to editing the
ASR disk (tsmasr.cmd) you can install a network driver and use netsh to
configure your network.

I guess you must use auto-negotiation for your network interface card and
switch.

Regards

..--