ADSM-L

Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP!!

2006-12-07 14:16:55
Subject: Re: HELP NEEDED ASAP!!
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 14:15:39 -0500
On Dec 7, 2006, at 2:07 PM, Prather, Wanda wrote:

If I were you, I would run a RESTORE using the command line client and
specify -dirsonly.
That will get all your directories back ASAP, and they will be
complete.

Richard -

Wanda has the Windows experience, so follow her guidance.
My thought would be that you hopefully separated your directory
backups into a separate storage pool via DIRMc, to facilitate quick
directories restoral.  (This is where planning-for-restore pans
gold.)  If not, everything is intermingled in the backups, so you'll
have to "step over" a lot of client data in the backups to get at
each directory - meaning that you're wasting the potential of
restoring it then and there.  The Restore Order concept in TSM will
create temporary directory definitions for restored files until the
restoral reaches the actual directories in the storage pools, though
perhaps not with all the attributes.

   Richard Sims