ADSM-L

Re: Survey Question for Virtual Tape Users: What Vendors are you using for Virtual Tape?

2006-12-07 08:13:04
Subject: Re: Survey Question for Virtual Tape Users: What Vendors are you using for Virtual Tape?
From: Nancy L Backhaus <Backhaus.Nancy AT HEALTHNOW DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 08:11:33 -0500
Kelly,

My backup window is all the time.  Backups start as early as 4pm to 8am
the next morning.     I haven't tried more than two max processes for one
of my larger pools.    I have 12 disk pools (drives) tied up until 8am or
longer, plus not to mention the impact to the client backup/thrashing.

Backup Window is:  This includes client backup, and mainframe job
scheduler hooked in.  Data writing to all 12 disk pools from 4pm -8am
Starttime: 4pm
Endtime:8am

Currently:

Backups occur during 4pm > 8am  *I would tie up those drives from 4pm-8am

TSM DB backups:
7am - TSM DB full backup  *problem already, clients are overlapping tsm db
backup.   Not good.

8am 4pm - Disk Migrations to Onsite tape occurs -12 disk pools

9am -10am :Expiration runs daily

10am -checkout script runs to take dr tapes offsite *problem which my
backup from last night isn't in the checkout, but the backup from the
previous day.

Between 2pm-8pm:   Backup onsite tape to offsite tape pools   * problem,
that data from the night before is still in the library so it is not going
offsite until the next day...yikes.

9am - 12am -running onsite 10 onsite tape pools reclamation throughout the
day, as migrations end.  These are staggered.

12am-7am:   Run offsite reclamation, for 7 Offsite Pools

12am = TSM DB full backup

Nancy Backhaus
Enterprise Systems
(716)887-7979