ADSM-L

Re: Will TSM ever support BMR for windows systems?

2006-12-06 11:42:21
Subject: Re: Will TSM ever support BMR for windows systems?
From: "Dearman, Richard" <rdearm1 AT UIC DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:38:40 -0600
I don't know what method you are for a BMR recovery but I have used what
most people in this list suggest.  I simply reinstall the OS (from and
install cd or image using something like altiris or nlite) then install
the TSM client then restore C: drive files and then registry and reboot.
Which works "MOST of the Time" but I need something that works ALL THE
TIME.  I have a windows server now that this process does not work for
and I am getting lots of flak for it and now they are considering moving
to another software that does support BMR for windows systems.

I am in constant arguments with management and they want to know, "why
can't tivoli do what altiris does?"  Simply restore an image from a
backup of the os from boot to the same exact same server without having
to reinstall the os.  Dissimilar hardware isn't even a concern for them
because they are will to require same hardware in their DR plan.

Besides I don't see why TSM can perform a snapshot image backup of the
local system drive of a windows server but you can't restore from it and
actually use it to boot another system. Networker claims they have BMR
for windows system built into their product so why doesn't Tivoli.