ADSM-L

Re: Keeping only the current version in a pool

2006-12-05 10:40:38
Subject: Re: Keeping only the current version in a pool
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 5 Dec 2006 10:39:33 -0500
My understanding is that this feature is coming soon, possibly as soon
as TSM 5.4, which should be early in 2007.

In the meantime, what you can do is:

-Define your COPAN pool as a sequential tape pool

-Change your management classes to point to COPAN as the target
destination for backups   (or if you are keeping a DISK pool as your
target destination for backups, change the DISK NEXTSTGPOOL to COPAN)

-In the COPAN pool set NEXTSTGPOOL to the TAPE pool
-For COPAN, set your migration thresholds to something like highmig 90,
lowmig 70
-For COPAN, set MIGDELAY to 7 and MIGCONTINUE to YES

Now your clients will back up to COPAN (or backup to DISK which migrates
to COPAN)

When COPAN gets more than 90% full, it will migrate data out to tape.
BUT it will only take data that is more than 7 days old, unless it has
to take more to get down to the 70% threshold.

That will give you the most-recently-backed up data on COPAN, which I
realize is not what you asked for, but it's the best you can do right
now.  And ask Santa for the new feature for Christmas!

Wanda Prather
"I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O"  -(me)