ADSM-L

Re: Using the DBI::TSM module, memory problem

2006-12-04 09:47:28
Subject: Re: Using the DBI::TSM module, memory problem
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 4 Dec 2006 09:46:41 -0500
On Dec 4, 2006, at 9:21 AM, Hans Christian Riksheim wrote:

The problem is that I want to process the output of sql statements
line by line as it is returned by the TSM-server, but it seems that
DBI requires the output of the whole sql to be stored in memory
before I can process it. For large queries the memory consumption
will be huge.

Hans -

I faced this problem with a reporting program which had to operate on
a very large data set, which caused perl to exhibit flakey problems
(Illegal Instruction) as it exhausted its memory - even with Unix
Resource Limits high.  I initially approached dealing with this via
perl's dbm capabilities, which allows hashes to be on disk rather
than in memory.  Still, that was not enough.  I eventually resolved
the issue by switching to 64-bit perl, which provided the elbow room
necessary.

   Richard Sims