ADSM-L

Re: RMAN Deletions with BA Client

2006-11-22 09:29:27
Subject: Re: RMAN Deletions with BA Client
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 2006 09:28:59 -0500
>> On Tue, 21 Nov 2006 11:30:18 -0600, Mark Stapleton <mark.s AT EVOLVINGSOL
>> DOT COM> said:

> That assumes, of course, that the Oracle DBA hasn't orphaned those
> backups by detaching and then reattaching the catalog to the database.
> (Happened at a job, with the excuse that "it would take months to sync
> up the months of expired backups that we couldn't be bothered to expire
> out until the other day".)

> It left some 40TB of orphaned backups that had to be deleted manually
> with DELETE VOL.

> Imagine my joy.

Say on about this, if you would?

When my DBA had a 'SR' (pmr) on oracle losing track of TSM data about
a year ago, the result was a shrug.  When I opened a new one just a
few weeks ago, the oracle response was 'Duuh, use tdposync'.  Once I
found it, I felt dull indeed.

Now, we're not using a catalog, we're using "the control file"
(warning, Allen has little Oracle clue!) and it seems that tdposync is
intended to use just the catalog.  But from the docs, it seems to
claim that it should -populate- the catalog with whatever traces it
sees in TSM, so that oracle can realize it doesn't need them, and then
delete them.

But from what you say, this isn't the case, and if I don't have a
recovery catalog right now, tdposync won't help me.  Which would make
me sad. ;)

- Allen S. Rout