ADSM-L

Re: Reporting anomaly - EST CAPACITY for sequential storage pools?

2006-11-13 11:05:03
Subject: Re: Reporting anomaly - EST CAPACITY for sequential storage pools?
From: David E Ehresman <deehre01 AT LOUISVILLE DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2006 11:02:47 -0500
What do you have defined for the MAXCapacity for for the DEVCLASS?  I
would have thought the Estimated Capacity for the storage pool would be
the number of volumes times the MAXCapacity of the DEVC.

David

>>> "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU> 11/10/2006 3:50 PM >>>
Well, I'm confused.
TSM 5.3.3.0 on Windows.

One of my TSM servers has 3 primary sequential pools on disk.
(Devclass type = FILE).

The volumes are preallocated files created with DEFINE VOLUME, so
MAXSCRATCH=0 for the pool.
There have been no volumes added/deleted for weeks.

One of the pools is 254 GB, one is 7142 GB, one is 25TB (actual bytes,
calculated by summing up values for each file from Windows Properties).

Can anybody tell me how the ESTIMATED CAPACITY for the pool is
calculated?

All three are coming up with Estimated Capacity of MORE GB than are
actually available in the pool.
I get the same results from Q STGPOOL, or from SELECT * from STGPOOLS.

For example, Q STGPOOL shows the 1st pool as 257 GB, the second as 7551
GB.

None of the hits I found on ibm.com seemed to address this, and all
should have been fixed at 5.3.3.0.

Anybody else figured this out?

Wanda Prather
"* I/O, I/O, It's all about I/O *"  -(me)