ADSM-L

Re: Spreading load across SAN Arrays

2006-11-09 07:45:38
Subject: Re: Spreading load across SAN Arrays
From: Hans Christian Riksheim <HCR AT STERIA DOT NO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2006 13:44:24 +0100
Hi,

you have not told the type of TSM-server you are using, but I guess it
maybe is AIX since you already have purchased the disk system from IBM.
If you use another OS, ignore the rest of this e-mail as other methods
for spreading IO apply(methods I know little about).

However, for AIX you can easily randomize the load by using Physical
Partition Striping:

Share out your LUNs to the AIX box in following order.

Host-LUN n,   from Array Group 1
Host-LUN n+1, from Array Group 2
Host-LUN n+2, from Array Group 3
Host LUN n+3, from Array Group 4
and start all over with
Host-LUN n+4, from Array Group 1
Host-LUN n+5, from Array Group 2
etc.

Then create your volume group with a certain Physical Partition Size(for
example 1024MB).

Create your Logical Volumes before creating your filesystems. Make it
span the physical volumes in the VG (Range of physical volumes=Maximum
in SMIT).

Make your filesystem on top of the logical volume you just created and
you're there.

A 4 G or larger file(stg volume) on your filesystem will now spread
across LUNs on all of your disk arrays.

The above method will randomize IO when having multiple processes for
read and write. It will therefore increase the chance of having an
evenly spread but hot spots may occur anyway. If you detect hot spots
that persist over a longer period, you can online migrate logical
volumes away from the affected physical volume using "migratepv".

Best regards

Hans C. Riksheim