ADSM-L

Problem backing up files with umlauts with Debian Linux

2006-10-31 09:05:03
Subject: Problem backing up files with umlauts with Debian Linux
From: Hermann Frasch <frasch AT RUS.UNI-STUTTGART DOT DE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 31 Oct 2006 15:03:17 +0100
Hi everybody,

since one of our TSM-customers moved his fileserver to a 64-Bit machine
with Debian Linux
and managed to install the latest TSM-client packages for Linux
about a week ago, all objects with umlauts in their pathnames are
skipped during backups
leading to thousands of messages like
ANS4042E Object name 'object_path' contains one or more unrecognised
characters and is not
valid.
in the file dsmerror.log on the machine and in the Activity Log of our
TSM-server.
Environment:
Debian 3.1 sarge auf Doppel-XEON
Linux saturn 2.6.15 #1 SMP Thu Jan 19 11:07:39 CET 2006 x86_64 GNU/Linux
IBM Tivoli Storage Manager -  Client-Version 5, Release 3, Stufe 4.0

32Bit Emulations-Libs --> ia32-libs_1.4 amd64
GNU C-Lib --> libc6_2.3.2.ds1-22sarge4 amd64

The filesystems to backup are exported to Windows workstations via
Samba with the global setting

character set = ISO8859-15

Neither the recommended settings for German locale
LANG=de_De or en_US
LC_CTYPE=de_DE or en_US
nor the setting
LC_CTYPE=de_DE@euro or de_DE.utf-8
which work perfectly with several SuSE or RedHat versions, have worked
so far with the machine's Debian Linux.
So now we are at a loss what else to look for (locale-configuration,
library missing?)
in order to get the TSM-client accept umlauts in directory or file names.
Can anyone with experience with Debian Linux give us some hints on the
matter?
Thanks in advance!

Hermann Frasch

--
Hermann Frasch          Informationssysteme und Serverbetrieb
Rechenzentrum