ADSM-L

Re: Script check requested.

2006-10-26 20:17:06
Subject: Re: Script check requested.
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 20:15:32 -0400
On Oct 26, 2006, at 6:08 PM, Ben Bullock wrote:

        I have a script I have run forever to see how much data has been
backed-up/archived to my TSM servers over the last 24 hours.

        Lately, this command is returning a number that seems to be too
high, compared to what I see the clients doing. ...

Ben -

From what I've seen. the BYTES value in the Summary table
corresponds to the "Total number of bytes transferred" value in a
backup's summary statistics (as echoed in ANE messages in the
Activity Log).  As such, that value includes retries, and can be more
indicative of contention on that client system than of the amount of
unique data actually sent to the TSM server storage pool.

For more meaningful numbers in our shop, years ago I wrote a perl
program, invoked via postschedulcmd, to post-process the entirety of
the backup log to perform analysis of numbers and file types,
including retries.  Mbox style mail spool files are the worst because
of their composite nature and the level of spam these days.

One really has to pore over the client backup logs to see what's
really going on, and thereby get a good sense of what might be done
to improve things.  Server-side numbers tend to be too gross.  Don't
waste your time there.

   Richard Sims        http://people.bu.edu/rbs