ADSM-L

Re: Using FILE instead of DISK devclass to avoid disk under-utilization

2006-10-26 12:48:49
Subject: Re: Using FILE instead of DISK devclass to avoid disk under-utilization
From: Daniel Clark <dclark AT POBOX DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 26 Oct 2006 12:47:18 -0400
On 10/26/06, Bos, Karel <Karel.Bos AT atosorigin DOT com> wrote:
Reading the thread and missing something. Why another stg?

You may have missed it, as the reason that prompted my question was
buried in one of the later replies - basically I need to have a
"special" storage pool for a limited set of machines that has a
primary storage pool and 2 copy storage pools, so one copy can be
pulled from offsite at any point in time for testing, without creating
a hole in our disaster recovery preparedness (i.e. a disaster while a
tape is onsite for testing). This testing is a regulatory requirement
due to my company doing business with certain industries (pharma I
think).

The only way I know of to do this is to have a separate storage pool
for this set of machines, since as far as I know, even with group
collocation in 5.3, you still can't specify that different collocated
groups have different numbers of copy storage pools associated with
them - the granularity is just wrong.

There are other reasons for multiple storage pools, such as clients
for which you don't want to have any copy storage pools, or if you
want to treat TDP clients differently (as I think is recommended in
the Redbooks).

--
Daniel Joseph Barnhart Clark
http://www.pobox.com/users/dclark