ADSM-L

Extract a tape

2006-10-24 05:39:14
Subject: Extract a tape
From: Douglas Currell <dlcurrell AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 05:38:24 -0400
Hello,

  One of my users requested that his 200GB directory be backed up so that  he
could recover the disk space. This was done by TSM, albeit with some  errors
such as "Object
'/mnt/propag/Popeye_Data/Blablabla/blablabla/BLABLABLA/blablabla.mat'  contains
unrecognized symbols for current locale, skipping..."

  Once the backup was complete and the disk space recovered on the  client, (rm
-rf /mnt/propag/Popeye_Data/*.*), a request was made for a  physical tape
containing the data. I don't want to create an entire  backupset as this
directory is only part of a much larger filespace and  I'd prefer if TSM would
NOT manage the tape's whereabouts, etc. Assume  that I have no disk space to
work with, a reasonable assessment.

  The user did not specify a format but a compressed tar file would be  nice
but TSM format is acceptable. My operating system is Suse 8 and  I'm using TSM
Server 5.2.2. How can I give him a tape with his data on  it?

  Thank you very much

   have the disk space. Previously, it had  been specifically excluded from
backup.

 All new Yahoo! Mail -