ADSM-L

Which copy to restore?

2006-10-23 14:59:43
Subject: Which copy to restore?
From: Gerald Michalak <gmichala AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 13:58:59 -0500
We just finished a DR drill and ran into an interesting issue.

We are running TSM V5.2 on AIX 5.2.

The primary TSM server is creating 2 copies of  data in copy storage pools.
One copy is on tape and going to offsite storage, the other copy is being
stored on another TSM server in another office 30 miles away.  I am using
the backup storage pool command to send the data to the 2nd site.

During the drill, we restored the primary server at an out of state site.
But we still had network access to the rest of the corporate network back
home including the 2nd copy of the data. During the client restores the
recovered TSM server repeatedly tried to restore from the 2nd site instead
of using the recalled tapes in the local library. The restores were PIT
restores and when I made the 2nd site volumes unavailable the data was
recovered from the tapes.

So, how does the TSM server decide which copy of data to restore when there
are 2 copies???

Gerald Michalak
TSM - Certified V5 Administrator