ADSM-L

Re: Tivoli storage manager migration/backup

2006-10-19 18:49:28
Subject: Re: Tivoli storage manager migration/backup
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar2 AT U.WASHINGTON DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 15:47:24 -0700
Kelly Lipp wrote:

> > In that environment, then, what does it all mean?  You never have all of
> > your files backed up into any one location at any one time anyway!  So
> > it becomes a point-in-time thing: at this point in time, everything is
> > as good as it can possibly be...
> >
> > For Windows clients, try the journaling option.  That might help you
> > process the file spaces faster (by not needing to scan the file system).

Our only two Windows backup clients are our Active Directory servers, so
that won't do us much good. Our big filesystems are all on Linux
servers, using either ext3 or GPFS. Increasing RESOURCEUTILIZATION and
TXNBYTELIMIT has helped this somewhat, but indexing still takes a long
time. I doubt that anything short of actually reducing the file count is
going to help us at this point.

> > Any successive backup stg operation picks up the files that were missed
> > during the last backup stg operation.  Nothing can drop through the
> > cracks.  At some point you will have all the files in the copy pool.
> > Except in your environment where files seem to be constantly arriving.
> > In that case, I think you need to stop worrying about it as there is
> > nothing you can do about it and it will only make you crazy anyway.

What about migrations? My worry was that a migration would delete files
from the disk cache, and then we'd be doing tape-to-tape (which now
appears to be OK).

> > And remember: if a file on one of your clients changes a second after
> > you backed it up, you don't have a backup of it.

Right. That was the realization I should have come to a while ago. :)

-- K324, (206)-685-7354
-- University of Washington Medical Center