ADSM-L

Re: export node toserver, extremely slow

2006-10-19 08:24:55
Subject: Re: export node toserver, extremely slow
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 08:24:06 -0400
Tom -

To factors which come to mind are:
 - Lack of collocation can make for a lot of tape repositioning,
   which, depending upon your tape technology, can be painful.
 - I know from experience, watching reclamations, that tapes which
   have been sitting unused for long periods of time (years) can
   be more difficult to read than recently written tapes.

If you are using node or filespace collocation, I would try doing
Move Data on one or more of the feeder volumes involved, and see if
that process is sluggish, which means an issue with the old
storage pool tape.  Once on a fresh tape, I would expect the export
to move faster, with no tape read struggling.
If you have a disk storage pool in you hierarchy, you might try
moving data there, to eliminate the tape factor in seeing where the
slowdown is.

Beyond that, you would need to engage in problem isolation

   Richard Sims