ADSM-L

Re: Switching between standard and subfile backups

2006-10-18 21:23:40
Subject: Re: Switching between standard and subfile backups
From: "Prather, Wanda" <Wanda.Prather AT JHUAPL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 21:22:39 -0400
Yep, no problem.  You can experiment without doing any harm.

Read the sections in the Windows client manual about subfile backup.
Note the limitations - doesn't do files larger than 2 GB, for example.
And note you can include/exclude just specific directories if you want.

Then add the SUBFILE parms to your dsm.opt on the client.
ANd remember that there is a server option that has to be turned on to ALLOW
the subfile backups to occur.

The first time the client backs up, you will get NO benefit from subfile
backup, because the first backup has to it create the BASE file in the cache
subdirectory on the client, and send that version to the server.
On subsequent backups, if any of the cached files change, it will do a subfile
incremental of those files.

If you want to stop doing the subfile backup, just change in dsm.opt to
SUBFILE NO.

Even if you have SUBFILE NO, you can do restores of the files you backed up
using SUBFILE, it just won't do partial/subfile backups any more.

Works like a charm!