ADSM-L

Re: Slow/serial database reads?

2006-10-18 10:44:17
Subject: Re: Slow/serial database reads?
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 18 Oct 2006 10:43:21 -0400
>> On Tue, 17 Oct 2006 12:23:36 -0400, Sergio Fuentes <sfuentes AT UMD DOT EDU>
>> said:

> - nmon traces and the nmon_analyzer are really good at illustrating your
> overall
> performance.  topas, or top is also useful for active monitoring.  vmstat as
> well.  During our slowdown our DB was seeing an average of 30-40 TPS per disk.
> Post-slow down we now see 90-120 TPS per disk.

So what stanzas do you use for data collection and analysis here?

I think it would be immensely useful if we could compare similar
results.

I see 15-40 TPS in normal backgroun work, and peak out at 190-200, and
I've got 10K 18G SSA, usually with 2 or 3 LVs on each PV.  But it's
hard to compare, because I've got lots of servers sharing the same DB
volumes.

- Allen S. Rout