ADSM-L

Re: 3 layer storage hierarchy

2006-10-14 09:00:57
Subject: Re: 3 layer storage hierarchy
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sat, 14 Oct 2006 09:00:10 -0400
On Oct 14, 2006, at 5:48 AM, Remco Post wrote:

Andrew Raibeck wrote:
Hi Remco,

Your observations are correct. If the target storage pool (DISKPOOL)
cannot fulfill the request, then we'll try the next storage pool
(FILEPOOL). But if the second request cannot be fulfilled, then
TSM does
not take it any further. This is a limitation that we are aware
of, but at
this time  there are no plans to address it.

Hmmm, pitty. This does have a large impact on the plans I have for
a new
 TSM server where we'll want to keep small files in filepool forever.
Basically, I see no way this can be done, unless I'm able to
absolutely
guarantee that daily backup will fit in the diskpool, no matter
what the
users of a 40+ Tflop super do.

Hi, Remco -

Keep in mind that TSM does not store client files individually in a
storage pool - it aggregates small files into what it calls a
Physical File, which is sized per transaction conventions.
Thereafter, that Aggregate is managed and moved around in storage
pools as a clump.  Customers sometimes want to keep small files in a
separate storage pool, but such a goal is illusory.

    Richard Sims