ADSM-L

Re: TSM Server Disk Upgrade

2006-10-10 06:18:03
Subject: Re: TSM Server Disk Upgrade
From: Leigh Reed <L.Reed AT MDX.AC DOT UK>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 11:16:18 +0100
Bill,

For primary disk STGPOOLS that do not have caching turned on, I would
update all the volumes to be read-only, make sure that a backup to
copypool has completed and then migrate them down to zero. You can query
the content of the volumes afterwards to be doubly sure that they are
empty. You can then delete the volumes and redefine them as necessary
after your disk upgrade/reorg. If by any chance there is data on them,
TSM will tell you.

If you have any dirs diskpools that are on areas of disk that will be
affected by your reorg/upgrade, I would define new volume(s) that are
possibly on local disk/disk unaffected, then mark the vols read-only and
perform a move data.

For any primary disk stgpools that have caching turned on; if memory
serves me correctly the best way to empty them out, is with a move data
to the next stg pool (tape pool). Again, mark all the volumes read-only
to ensure no new data can be written to them. No data will be moved, but
the cached copies will be purged.

>From help move data
"When you move files from a random access volume, the server erases any
cached copies of files on the volume."

For the db & log volumes;
If you have enough disk spare that will not be affected by your upgrade
(ie local disk), you could define db copy volumes on this disk and TSM
will synchronise them. This process does take time and you will most
certainly experience a performance degradation, but it will ensure TSM
stays operational during the disk upgrade. When the sync is complete,
you can delete the old volumes. This may not help you reorganise your DB
vols, as the db copy vols have to be at least the same size as the
originals. When your disk upgrade is finished you can perform the
process again and define db copy volumes and sync back.

As always with this type of work, I would ensure that at least one good
DB backup is performed before commencing the process.

Leigh