ADSM-L

update server roles

2006-10-06 05:11:40
Subject: update server roles
From: BEYERS Kurt <Kurt.BEYERS AT VRT DOT BE>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 6 Oct 2006 11:10:34 +0200
Hello,

In the output of a server definition in TSM (TSM server 5.3.2.4, TSM BA client
5.3.2 and STA 5.3.2.1), multiple roles are defined:

‘q server SERVER  f=d’

                                  Server Name: SERVER

                                 Comm. Method: TCPIP

                           High-level Address: xxx.yyy.rrr.tttt

                            Low-level Address: 1502

                            Allow Replacement: No

                             …….

                              Role(s): Storage Agent Event Logging Library
Sharing

Is it possible to limit those server roles? Eg only a storage agent or library
sharing?

The problem I’m having is the following:

A TSM client (CLIENT) is defined to two TSM servers (TSM1 and TSM2) and has two
Storage Agents for each TSM server (using other TCP/IP ports and shared memory
ports).

Further on, TSM1 is a library client of the library manager running on TSM2.
The TSM1 database backup goes to this library so that the tapes must be vaulted
only from 1 library instead of two libraries.

But if I start the STA for TSM1 on the client, the server definition on TSM2 is
being updated (changing the TCP/IP port):

ANR0408I Session 35078 started for server CLIENT (Linux/x86_64) (Tcp/Ip) for
server registration.

ANR1662I Server CLIENT updated.

ANR0409I Session 35078 ended for server CLIENT (Linux/x86_64).

Which results that the STA for TSM2 can no longer communicate with the TSM
server TSM2.

I can prohibit this with ‘set crossdefine off’, but I end then with yet another
warning in the activity log that can be discarded.

ANR0408I Session 35087 started for server CLIENT (Linux/x86_64) (Tcp/Ip) for
server registration.

ANR0457W Session for server CLIENT  refused - crossdefine is not allowed on
this server.

ANR0409I Session 35087 ended for server CLIENT (Linux/x86_64).

Or must I define two different servers on the CLIENT, one for TSM1 and one for
TSM2?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Best regards,

Kurt