ADSM-L

Re: Why does MAXPR parameter not always produce multiple processes?

2006-10-05 14:07:09
Subject: Re: Why does MAXPR parameter not always produce multiple processes?
From: Scott McCambly <mccambly AT ALLSTREAM DOT NET>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 14:06:19 -0400
Is there any chance that the data is only coming from one client, or all
from one collocation group on the day that it only starts one process?

Schneider, John wrote:

Greetings,
        Are there some situations where a backup stgpool will automatically
override the MAXPR parameter you give it?  We have a few disk storage pools
that absorb several hundred GB a night, and our offsite scripts use a
'backup stgpool tapepool drcopypool maxpr=3' to generate the offsite copy.
In some cases the backup stgpool will create 3 separate processes, but in
some cases it will only create a single process.  Needless to say, the time
to complete the 'backup stgpool' really suffers when only one process gets
created.
        In each case, the disk storage pools in question have 10-20 disk
storage pool volumes to copy data from, and plenty of tape drives available.
The devclass mountlimit for the tape library is set to DRIVES, and we also
tried setting it to the number of drives (14), but that did not help.
        The TSM instance that is seeing this symptom is a library client.
Another TSM instance on another server is the library server.  I don't know
if an other TSM library client is seeing this symptom, but I don't think so.

        This is TSM 5.3.2.0, running under AIX 5.3LM1 in case that matters.

Best Regards,

John D. Schneider
Senior Systems Administrator - Storage
Sisters of Mercy Health System