ADSM-L

exports/imports and restore with ABC Client

2006-10-05 11:50:13
Subject: exports/imports and restore with ABC Client
From: "Gill, Geoffrey L." <GEOFFREY.L.GILL AT SAIC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 5 Oct 2006 08:49:13 -0700
The scenario is this. A system at one site backs up to a tsm server and
we export the "backup active" data and send it to another site where it
is imported. The specific commands are below:

EXPORT NODE node21 fsid=2,5,6,7,10,14 filedata=BackupActive
DOmains=unix_dom devclass=3590class preview=yes

Import node node21 filedata=All devclass=3590class merge=yes
volumenames=xxxxx

Here is the problem. I am told the 2 systems are identical in every way,
especially including disk space. This is a system that uses the
storserver ABC client software for backup and restore. When restoring
data to the DR system I'm told they run out of space on the disk, which
doesn't make sense to me so hopefully someone can explain why that would
be. I'm told there is no "extra data" on the DR system that would take
up space. Is there an issue with how the export and import is done that
would cause this or would it be the way the restore from the client is
done?

Command for restore:

ABC> restore disk$ing2:[000000...]*.*;* /time_base=24-sep-2006:22:38

To add one more thing, we've been running with this for over a year and
I have not been told this was an issue previously.

Hopefully someone with some ABC experience can help.

Thanks,

Geoff Gill

TSM Administrator

PeopleSoft Sr. Systems Administrator

SAIC M/S-G1b

(858)826-4062

Email:  <mailto:geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com> geoffrey.l.gill AT saic DOT com