ADSM-L

Re: MUMPS style database backup

2006-10-03 20:03:13
Subject: Re: MUMPS style database backup
From: Steven Harris <steve AT STEVENHARRIS DOT INFO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2006 09:45:29 +1000
Orville Lantto wrote:
Does anyone have experience with backing up MUMPS style databases?  In
particular, I am interested in optimizing backups on InterSystems Cache.

Orville L. Lantto
Glasshouse Technologies, Inc
Hi Orville

I looked at this a few years ago now.  My employer at that time had a
number of oddball DBMS and their new system was being developed in Cache.

There is a tape management exit that I looked at - I could see that it
might be used to hook into the TSM API, but the necessary programming
was beyond my skill level.  The other idea was to use the standard
backup-to-file command and direct that to pipe that would get vacuumed
up with adsmpipe.  It turned out that the backup-to-file command would
always delete its output file before starting - I looked at hacking the
code but its was in some strange scripting language and there were no
practitioners to help me. so we just went with dump to file then back
that up.

Sorry.

Steve.

Steven Harris