ADSM-L

Re: Trending

2006-10-02 10:27:59
Subject: Re: Trending
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2006 10:27:01 -0400
TSMManager does all kinds of trending/reporting/history/graphs/etc.

"Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
09/29/2006 04:11 PM
Please respond to

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
Re: [ADSM-L] Trending

said:

> What are folks using to do TSM trending?

I use R.

http://open-systems.ufl.edu/reports/tsm/graphs/ALL.html

It's clickable!

[...]

> I've found that TSM's own tools (the TSM web GUI and that ghastly
> thing that's replaced it in TSM 5.3) give a better view of the trees
> than the forest.  They're OK for day-to-day tasks, but not for
> trending.

I'll agree, but I'll also note that many of your questions really are
trees questions.  For example, peak drive usage really isn't smooth;
it's instantaneous.  Why did X change on date D is even tighter than
tree; branch perhaps, or twig.

> I would just as soon write Perl scripts to distill the logs, but my
> management would rather have me do other things, particularly if
> there's a canned answer out there.

Expect that, if you get a can of answers, you will also get a can of
procedures and ideology with them, which may not be compatible with
yours.  This is not necessarily a bad thing; but I would not expect to
get a can of answers that fit your site as it happens to exist now.

- Allen S. Rout