ADSM-L

Re: FSCK problem on TSM

2006-09-26 08:31:28
Subject: Re: FSCK problem on TSM
From: Uwe Schreiber <Uwe.us.Schreiber AT DAIMLERCHRYSLER DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 26 Sep 2006 14:22:29 +0200
hi adrian,

if no space within of your storage-pools is available, the data will be
send to the according "Next Storagepool".
if this is a sequential tape-pool and their are not enough tape-drives
available, you will see a lot of mount-requests
by your clients during their backup/archive-operation.

the OVFLOcation is only used if you checkout cartridges in case of to less
slots in your library, and you need to checkin
scratch-tapes.

----- snip -----

OVFLOcation
     Specifies the overflow location for the storage pool. The server
     assigns this location name to a volume that is ejected from the
library
     by the command. This parameter is optional. The location name can be
     maximum length of 255 characters. Enclose the location name in
     quotation marks if the location name contains any blank characters.
     Note:
          This parameter is not available for storage pools that use the
          following data formats:
             + NETAPPDUMP
             + CELERRADUMP
             + NDMPDUMP

----- snap -----

you can define an additional primary storage-pool based on disk-volumes
defined on another filesystem
and define this storage-pool as the next-storagepool of your defect-pool.

regards uwe schreiber

adrianc AT ASPENPHARMA DOT COM
Sent by: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
26.09.2006 12:29
Please respond to
ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
cc

Subject
FSCK problem on TSM

Hi

Yesterday my TSM server (p500 LPAR AIX 5.3) had the TSM Logs run out of
space. In hind sight, the Server was bounced and I now have  fsck running
forever almost as if in a loop. At present it would take days as the
filesystem concerned is 1.150TB.

Apparently we need to patch the OS as the FSCK gets into a loop, and has
complete the checks of the superblocksbefore it can be mounted. This
filesystem contains my DISKPOOLS.

My questions are/

1. Will any clients that normally go to DISPOOL now automatically go to
overflow until the filesystem comes backup.
2. what is the recommended max filesystem size to prevent this long FSCK.
3. Is there any other way to resolve this long wait for the check to
complete.

Regards

Adrian Compton