ADSM-L

Re: BMR - unlike hardware

2006-09-22 12:48:20
Subject: Re: BMR - unlike hardware
From: Thomas Denier <Thomas.Denier AT JEFFERSONHOSPITAL DOT ORG>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 22 Sep 2006 12:47:52 -0400
-----Geoffrey L. Gill wrote: -----

>As it relates to trying to restore a system to "unlike hardware" what
>sort of results does anyone have they might like to share. I've got
>some folks wanting to push this requirement on me and, since I have
>never tested this, I'm not comfortable with it.

What kind of system are you concerned with? We have not had much
trouble restoring HP-UX, AIX, or Solaris systems to unlike hardware
using facilities like Ignite. We have not had much trouble with
Linux when we reinstalled Linux from distribution media and used
TSM to restore application files and selected system files, such
as /etc/passwd. Unlike hardware restores for Windows have been
fairly troublesome. Different combinations of TSM levels and Windows
levels tend to have different problems.