ADSM-L

Re: Migrate Inactive Files Feature Proposal

2006-09-18 22:21:00
Subject: Re: Migrate Inactive Files Feature Proposal
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 22:20:09 -0400
>> On Mon, 18 Sep 2006 12:34:04 -0700, "Thorneycroft, Doug" <dthorneycroft AT
>> LACSD DOT ORG> said:

> I put out this idea a couple of years ago, It didn't
> generate a whole lot of interest then.

They're discussing ways to get similar effects.  The reason it's
difficult is that the fundamental unit of storage insited TSM storage
volumes is not the "file", it's the "aggregate".  This is a group of
files and diperhaps metadata, where such doesn't fit in the TSM DB.
Statements about e.g. copy stgpool coverage are made on the aggregate
level.

COnsequently, breaking up these aggregates (rather than simply
removing parts of them) makes for databases growth and referential
integrity problems.

- Allen S. Rout