ADSM-L

Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit TSM server?

2006-09-18 15:57:11
Subject: Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit TSM server?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2006 15:54:59 -0400
On Sep 18, 2006, at 1:24 PM, Richard Rhodes wrote:

While I'm not sure, I think the problem is deeper than just the
database.
It might also be byte ordering and other issues with you data on tape.
In other words, even if IBM came up with a way to export/import the db
to a different type of server (which they could . . . .Oracle did
it), it might
still require a conversion of the data on all your tapes.

TSM's Restore DB should remain a recovery vehicle, and I agree with
the consensus that there should be some kind of Migrate DB function.
Such a function gets "interesting" in areas with hardware
dependencies; but whereas the family of TSM servers constitutes a
superset of all the understanding needed, it should be do-able.

I don't see any need for conversion of storage pool data, given that
it is stored as the client sent it, regardless of its OS type or
machine architecture (or byte order, derived therefrom).  The server
only needs to know what volume a file is on, and its media index.
Keep in mind that it is the client which ultimately restores file
system data, not the server.

    Richard Sims