ADSM-L

Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit TSM server?

2006-09-17 03:47:49
Subject: Re: migrate 32bit database -> 64bit TSM server?
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 17 Sep 2006 02:46:26 -0500
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 09/15/2006
04:16:56 PM:

> We run TSM 5.3.1 32bit on windows 2000 32bit Server. We are considering
> moving to TSM 5.3.3 64bit on RedHat Enterprise Linux v4 AS x64.
>
> Is it possible to migrate the database from 32bit server to 64bit
server?
> Anyone done it before and had it work?

You will not be able to move your TSM db from Windows to Linux (or from
any OS to any other dissimilar OS). The file structures are too different.

Your best bet to have both servers up. Use the new one for backups and use
the old one (as necessary) for restored of legacy information. If you're
using the original library for the new server, there are elements of
problems with this.

After a period of time determined by your business needs, just turn off
the old server.

Do not consider export/import choices for client data. Exports and imports
TAKE TOO #%^#^&%@$!! LONG! (Listening, Tivoli?)

--
Mark Stapleton (mark.stapleton AT usbank DOT com)
US Bank MR Backup and Recovery Management (but not for much longer)