ADSM-L

3584 library sharing followup

2006-09-15 16:56:18
Subject: 3584 library sharing followup
From: Kathleen M Hallahan <Kathleen_Hallahan AT FREDDIEMAC DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 16:54:56 -0400
Last week, Bill Boyer posted a message (which I no longer have) about
splitting a database and library sharing. and ownership of tapes.  I saw
one response suggesting exporting and importing the data, but nothing
else.

Did anyone ever come up with other ideas on this?  I'm actually getting
ready to do something similar, splitting a very large TSM database by
deleting from each.  I'm presuming that using the TSM library sharing
function will create the same ownership issue for us as Bill is/was
experiencing.  There is far too much data for export/import to be
practical.

In our case, all of the tapes for one (legacy) instance will reside
outside of the library unless needed for a specific restore, and no new
data will be added.  Can I leave the library definitions intact in the
second instance, and just make sure the two systems never have the same
drive online at the same time?  I would then check tapes into the legacy
instance of TSM when restores were required.  As this is old data, it
would only happen on an occasional basis.

We're on TSM 5.2.3.1 on AIX 5.2, using a 3584 with LTO2 drives.

Thanks!

Kathleen Hallahan
Freddie Mac