ADSM-L

Re: Log prune on non-standard log names?

2006-09-12 08:16:14
Subject: Re: Log prune on non-standard log names?
From: Richard Sims <rbs AT BU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 08:15:13 -0400
Hello, Matthew -

I sought certainty on the customer-reported log name, as it was not
cited in the original posting: we knew what *you* thought the log
was, but not what the customer complained about.  (End users are
typically vague in problem descriptions, which can result in a lot of
wasted time by systems people trying to resolve their issues.)

The simplest explanation for such a log not being pruned is that the
scheduler process was launched prior to the time that the options
file was updated to contain the SCHEDLOGRetention specification.

If upgrading to TSM 5, get at least to 5.3.2, to avoid another
pitfall (IC45287).  And watch out for conflicts between
SCHEDLOGRetention and SCHEDLOGMAX.

   Richard Sims