ADSM-L

Re: TSM server on Linux x86 64 bit

2006-09-03 13:10:42
Subject: Re: TSM server on Linux x86 64 bit
From: Paul Zarnowski <psz1 AT CORNELL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Sun, 3 Sep 2006 13:09:28 -0400
At 11:30 AM 9/1/2006, David Longo wrote:
What are experiences with running TSM server on Linux x86 box?
Mgmnt here wants to go that way to save dollars.

We are starting to think about the same thing.  We currently have 5
TSM server images running on a combination of an older M80 and a
newer p5 570.  The 570 will last us for awhile yet.  We also have
many tape drives and take in over 2TB per day, so I/O slots is an issue for us.

We would like to run on an AMD Opteron 64bit system as we believe the
I/O is faster than on Intel.  I'm looking for hardware that has
sufficient power redundancy and I/O slots.  I am also curious if
anyone else is doing this and what their experiences might be.

Our planning timeframe is probably a year out yet.

Has anyone migrated a TSM server from AIX to another Unix OS and been
able to keep the same tape data?  (i.e., not export/import all the
data, or re-back it all up?)

--
Paul Zarnowski                            Ph: 607-255-4757
Manager, Storage Services                 Fx: 607-255-8521