ADSM-L

Re: Storage Agent Upgrade on AIX caused LANFree to slow way down

2006-08-25 01:07:49
Subject: Re: Storage Agent Upgrade on AIX caused LANFree to slow way down
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 22:06:42 -0700
Curious that I'm replying to my own post but using the LANFREECOMMMETHOD of
SharedMem the 120 GB of OS data just backed up in 57 minutes.  The 60 GB of DB2
data backed up in 54 minutes.

  So looks like the V5.3.3.0 storage agent is more affected by the use of
SharedMem over TCPIP. Or, something else changed around the time of the upgrade
to break the usage of TCP/IP for the LANFREE backup.

  I'd still be interested to know if anyone else has seen this behavior.

TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM> wrote:
  Guys,
We had a TSM server and TSM Storage Agent combination of V5.1.1.0. The TSM
client on the AIX server is at V5.1.7.0. This AIX server is running DB2. We
have a Windows 2003 TSM server and a 3494 tape library with two Fibre attached
3590 drives.

Anyway the OS backup on this server has 120 GB and was backing up in 54
minutes. The DB2 backup on the server had never been configured to run LANFree
(don't know why) but backed up 60 GB in 1 hour and 45 minutes over the LAN
(10/100 NIC).

We upgrade the TSM server to V5.3.3.3 which went without any issues. We then
upgraded the TSM storage agent to V5.3.3.0 (they like to not put any patches on
this very important AIX DB2 server unless it is absolutly necessary). According
to the doc you can use a V5.3.3.0 storage agent with a V5.3.3.3 TSM server
without any problems.

Now the storage agent backup of the OS runs in 4 hours and 30 minutes. Yes, we
are absolutly sure it is still going LANFree. We can see this when we route the
"q sess" command to the storage agent. We also so that the LANFree bytes
transferred shows that the whole 120 GB is going LANFree.

We did put "ENABLELANFREE YES" in the dsm.sys that the DB2 agent was in. The DB
backup is not completing in 1 hour and 15 minutes. We would like it to be
faster but it is faster than when it ran over the LAN so people are happy with
it.

After this upgrade we gained 30 minutes on the DB2 backup but we lost 3 hours
and 30 minutes on the OS backup.

The dsm.sys files were setup to use lanfreecommmethod of TCPIP. That was good
with V5.1.1.0. However, seeing that the client and storage agent are on the
same server I changed the method to SharedMem to see how much of a difference
that makes.

So after that book, has anyone else experienced a slow down in Storage Agent
speed after an upgrade. I've went through many and this is a first for me.

Oh, no errors of any kind in any of the logs.

Get your own web address for just $1.99/1st yr. We'll help. Yahoo! Small
Business.

starting at 1¢/min.