ADSM-L

Changing DEVCLASS FORMAT "in the middle of the stream"

2006-08-24 12:16:44
Subject: Changing DEVCLASS FORMAT "in the middle of the stream"
From: Zoltan Forray/AC/VCU <zforray AT VCU DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 12:15:10 -0400
We just got our new 3592-EO5 drives up and running and as I was moving
data to them, I noticed I wasn't getting the native capacity (500GB) much
less the possible 900G-1.5TB I have seen in some TSM docs/books.

I figured out that when I defined the DEVCLASS 3592, I set the format to
3592C vs 3592-2C.

What is the impact if I just change the devclass format (I think the book
said I could do an UPDATE DEVCLASS FORMAT), when there are already plenty
of used tapes in the associated stgpool ?

Obviously I want to do movedata's on the already used tapes, to recompact
the data and get the maximum usage per volume.