ADSM-L

Re: poor performance

2006-08-22 09:10:24
Subject: Re: poor performance
From: Hans Christian Riksheim <HCR AT STERIA DOT NO>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 15:09:37 +0200
Hi,

before seriously looking into your HW-configuration and disk layout you
should rule out any paging space issues and lack of I/O-tuning. Check
paging space activity with "vmstat" or "nmon". Consistant activity to
and from paging space during dbbackup/expiration indicates you have a
memory/tuning problem and will drastically reduce performance.

Are you using files or raw volumes for your db, log and diskpools? Using
files increases the need for proper tuning.

Your other server performed OK? You should check if the OS-tuning is the
same on the new server. These are set in the file
/etc/tunables/nextboot.

Best of luck,

Hans C. Riksheim