ADSM-L

Re: TSM configuration manager

2006-08-19 14:21:01
Subject: Re: TSM configuration manager
From: TSM_User <tsm_user AT YAHOO DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 18 Aug 2006 17:23:17 -0700
The problem is that when you nodes defined to a domain just moving a new domain
from another profile into place can not be done. On the "managed" server you
can create a new domain (temporarily). Then at the domain level you can issue
the move nodes to another domain and select the temp domain.  Then you can
update the profile to bring down the domain from your configuration manager.
Lastly, you will have to move the nodes from the temp domain back to the
STANDARD domain. From that point forward any changes to the domain on the
configuration manager will be replicated.

  The only problem is that once you move nodes out of domain you loose their
schedule associations. So it is a good idea to run the "q event * *" to a file
first so that you can recreate the schedule associations after you move the
nodes back.

  Kyle

John Bremer <jbremer AT LANL DOT GOV> wrote:
  All,

I want to set up TSM configuration manager. I have several AIX 5.1
TSM servers 5.3.2.

I have defined a profile on one server, and defined a profile
association to this configuration profile for domains, using our
"STANDARD" domain as a test to propagate additions and changes to
subscribers. Configuration manager is set "On" to this server:

tsm: DSMSERV1>q profile f=d

Configuration manager: DSMSERV1
Profile name: TSM SERVER PROFILE
Locked?: No
Server administrators:
Policy domains: STANDARD
Administrative command schedules:
Server Command Scripts:
Client Option Sets:
Servers:
Server Groups:

On a second server I have defined subscription to the master:

tsm: DSMSERV2>q subscription f=d

Configuration Profile name Last update
manager date/time
DSMSERV1 TSM SERVER 08/16/06 11:59:40
PROFILE

This server has "Allow Replace" yes.

On configuration manager I run:

notify subscribers

and it fails at the subscriber end:

08/17/06 08:21:53 ANR0408I Session 75279 started for server DSMSERV1
(AIX-RS/6000) (Tcp/Ip) for configuration
management.
(SESSION:
75279)
08/17/06 08:21:54 ANR0409I Session 75279 ended for server DSMSERV1
(AIX-RS/6000). (SESSION:
75279)
08/17/06 08:21:54 ANR0408I Session 75280 started for server DSMSERV1
(AIX-RS/6000) (Tcp/Ip) for configuration
management.
(SESSION:
73099)
08/17/06 08:21:54 ANR3152I Configuration refresh started with configuration
manager DSMSERV1. (SESSION:
73099)
08/17/06 08:21:54 ANR3350W Locally defined domain STANDARD contains at least
one node and cannot be replaced with a
definition from
the configuration manager. (SESSION:
73099)
08/17/06 08:21:54 ANR3171E Configuration refresh with configuration manager
DSMSERV1 had to skip processing for one or
more objects.
(SESSION:
73099)
08/17/06 08:21:54 ANR0409I Session 75280 ended for server DSMSERV1
(AIX-RS/6000). (SESSION:
73099)
08/17/06 08:21:54 ANR3151E Configuration refresh failed with configuration
manager DSMSERV1. (SESSION:
73099)

Stupid question, but should I not expect the configuration manager to
be able to update existing domains, etc. across my complex?

Does anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong, or if I have the
wrong expectations?

Thank you.

John Bremer