ADSM-L

Re: Exclude.dir question

2006-08-14 08:31:04
Subject: Re: Exclude.dir question
From: "Allen S. Rout" <asr AT UFL DOT EDU>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 08:29:57 -0400
>> On Mon, 14 Aug 2006 13:07:41 +0300, Robert Ouzen Ouzen <rouzen AT
>> UNIV.HAIFA.AC DOT IL> said:

> It's seems so simple to do something like:

[...]

> Any reasons ????????????

Exclude.dir has a meaning somewhat stronger than just exclude.  When
TSM encounters it, it declines to recurse into the excluded directory.
This means the client will never consider files inside that directory,
so will never encounter criteria addressing them.

This can be extremely useful if you have some directory structure you
know to be a waste of effort and database time.

My best example of this was a bunch of machines which had a directory
structure of

/foo/[00-99]/[00-99]/[00-99]/sometimes some files.

That was one million, ten thousand and one hundred directories, with
some of the leaf directories having some files in them.

We skipped those. ;)

- Allen S. Rout
- In 1998, yet.