ADSM-L

Detect whether L700 tape library unavailable

2006-08-11 11:47:43
Subject: Detect whether L700 tape library unavailable
From: "Martin, Roy J" <roy.martin AT EDS DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 11:46:47 -0400
We have a TSM server (5.2.2) running on a Solaris box with a SCSI
attached STK L700 tape library. TSM interfaces directly with the tape
library. Does anyone have any relatively simple method to detect whether
the tape library becomes unavailable? I was thinking of enabling some
events, have them directed to a log file & have a monitoring tool watch
for them, but it seems like it would be difficult to identify all of
them. Is there some simply way to achieve this? Perhaps "query drive" or
something on a regular basis would generate a particular error if the
library was down. I suppose a script could just see if "q drive" returns
valid response within some timeframe. Any thoughts or experience doing
this?

Roy J. Martin
Global Client Engineering GM  (BUR group)
mailto:roy.martin AT eds DOT com