ADSM-L

Re: SQL Server 2005 support?

2006-08-08 03:44:56
Subject: Re: SQL Server 2005 support?
From: "Loon, E.J. van - SPLXM" <Eric-van.Loon AT KLM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Tue, 8 Aug 2006 09:43:33 +0200
Hi Del!
Your statement "Customer always have the option of not installing a fix
release, and waiting for the next PTF or release of that Data Protection
client" may be true in most cases, but not when new platform support is
added. You don't have the option to wait for a new release because you
cannot backup your production data in the meantime!
We normally use the most recent maintenance levels for all TSM and DP
clients. Only when customers encounter a bug which is fixed in a fix
release, they will upgrade to that fix release, until the next
maintenance release (containing the APAR) is there. The customer will
replace their fix level with this new maintenance level a.s.a.p. I think
most TSM customers work this way.
Why didn't Tivoli add the Windows 2005 support and release this as
maintenance release 5.3.0? That was a nice chance of synchronizing the
level with other DP clients like DP for Exchange, DP for Lotus Domino
and DP for mySAP...
Kindest regards,
Eric van Loon
KLM Royal Dutch Airlines