ADSM-L

Re: VMFS3 filespace......

2006-08-07 13:33:25
Subject: Re: VMFS3 filespace......
From: Mark Stapleton <mark.stapleton AT USBANK DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 11:04:49 -0500
"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 08/07/2006
10:20:08 AM:
> Backing up virtual machine by backing up their file system is (not
> only in my opinion) generally dangerous - data is not consistent.
>
> We use tivoli client on ESX server (by the way - still 2.5.3p1) AND
> tivoli clients on each virtual machine. This guarantee REAL
> consistence of data in virtualization machine  (ESX) and in virtual
> environment.

Please check the VMWare ESX documentation. There is an approved way to
suspend (not stop) a given VM so that a backup can be made of the file
containing the VM with the TSM client installed on the host OS. The
process can be worked into PRESCHEDCMD and POSTSCHEDCMD so that consistent
images can be backed up.

There are also third-party packages that do the same thing, only with more
bells and whistles.

--
Mark Stapleton
US Bank Backup and Recovery