ADSM-L

open source clone of tsm?

2006-08-03 12:24:02
Subject: open source clone of tsm?
From: Mike <mikee AT MIKEE.ATH DOT CX>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Thu, 3 Aug 2006 11:22:07 -0500
I need something with some of TSM's abilities. I have enough
disk space on the 'backup' server that I can rsync all other
servers to the backup server, however the amount of data to
backup is greater than the tape size. I could use multi-volume
tars, though I prefer to be more 'hands-off' than that. I'd
like some program to look at the given files/filesystems for
backup, decide what needs backing up as a full and as an
incremental, send those files to tape making one tape a day.
The program needs to keep track of how infrequently files are
backed up that are not changed, essentially forcing a full of
files over time to keep them current on tapes, etc.

The program also needs to know how to ask for tapes in their
proper order for restoring files/filesystems.

I have come to like TSM, but I do not have the budget for
a 3494 or other tape changer, or for the software for that
matter.

Does this exist somewhere or someone have a better idea?

Mike