ADSM-L

Re: PIT-Restore does not show dirs

2006-08-02 09:06:07
Subject: Re: PIT-Restore does not show dirs
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Date: Wed, 2 Aug 2006 07:04:17 -0600
It's not just a matter of the retention values, but also the number of
versions. Assuming you run backup on a daily basis, if an object changes
every day, then you will only be able to restore that object up to 10 days
ago. Thus for the case of an object changing every day, the 184 day
retention is meaningless; you will only be able to go back up to 10 days
(or less if you back up the object more than once a day).

In general, if you think of your restore requirement as, "I want to be
able to restore up to 'n' days ago", then you should set your version and
retention like this:

VEREXISTS=NOLIMIT
VERDELETED=NOLIMIT
RETEXTRA=n
RETONLY=n

This way, no matter how many backup versions you make, you will be able to
restore those versions up to 'n' days ago.

Yes, these settings will probably cause your TSM database and storage
utilization to increase. For directory objects, whether you want to keep
all versions for 184 days is a decision you need to make, based on the
importance of being able to use the GUI to do the restore and the
importance of being able to restore the directory object; as opposed to
using the CLI for the restore and having the directory structure built
with default attributes if a backup version of the directory does not
exist.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Software Group

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/sysmgmt/products/support/IBMTivoliStorageManager.html

The command line is your friend.

"ADSM: Dist Stor Manager" <ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU> wrote on 08/01/2006
10:48:50 PM: